Monday, June 25, 2012

Home to nearly Granville

It was a nice day for a bike ride.

Temperature in the mid to high 70s, flirting with 80 later on.  Low humidity.

The wind was a bitch, though.   And the ascent / descent numbers below seem a little out of whack.  I swear it was closer to 5000 feet of climb.

As I'm riding, I'm thinking of the guys who're riding in the Rocky Mountains.  These guys are climbing multiple 7000, 8000, and 9000 feet hills daily.  Plus facing headwinds of 40 to 50 miles per hour.

I'm riding up 50 and 60 foot hills and facing headwinds no stronger than 20 to 30 MPH.  I've got nothing to bitch about.

Anyway.  Today was a quick 50+ miler.  Took off on Morse Road, just a little bit south of my house, and headed west.  I knew Morse Road t-boned into SR 161. What I'd not considered was 161 has been turned into a quasi-interstate.  You can't ride a bicycle on the thing.

I didn't want to just backtrack on Morse.  So I took a little bit different -- and convoluted -- path back.  Wound up doing a tad over 57 miles. 

This is the first time in years I've ridden that far without my clipless pedals.  I have to admit, it was very nice.  Just the thought that I can get my feet off the pedals in a 10th of a second is rather liberating.  I may have to consider on those days when I'm going to be a lot of flat riding to just wear my tennis shoes. 

Finished Cycle: Jun 25, 2012 1:36:34 PM
Shortened Google Maps URL: http://j.mp/L9CLuG
Ride Time: 4:43:49
Distance: 57.60 miles
Average: 12.18 mph
Fastest Speed: 32.91 mph
Ascent: 1310 feet
Descent: 1256 feet
Calories: 4439

No comments:

Post a Comment